An easy and delicious way to use pumpkin is for pumpkin cream cheese muffins. This recipe is easy, and only requires about 45 minutes of prep time, plus the chilling and baking times. ☺ Each one of these muffins is a special treat, great for the autumn season.
My favorite part about these muffins is the nugget of cream cheese inside each one! When you bite into a muffin, the nugget of cream cheese inside perfectly complements the moist spiciness of the pumpkin. The pecan streusel topping provides a lovely crunch, which is a great contrast to the smooth cream cheese. You’ve got to try this recipe–your taste buds will thank you!
Pumpkin cream cheese muffins are moist with a crunchy streusel topping and a hidden nugget of cream cheese inside.
For the Cream Cheese Filling
- 7 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
For the Streusel Topping
- 3 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the Muffin Batter
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 2/3 cup light-tasting olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preparing the Cream Cheese Filling (8 minutes + 1 hour chilling time)
- Using a stand mixer, beat the softened cream cheese until smooth, then beat in the powdered sugar until well combined.
- Spoon the cream cheese filling onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet, dividing it into 18 equal blobs.
- Freeze for about 1-2 hours, until they have hardened up some.
Making the Streusel Topping (3 minutes)
- In a small bowl, combine the melted butter, brown sugar, pecans, flour, and cinnamon until well blended. The mixture will be dry and crumbly. Set aside.
Making the Muffin Batter (25 minutes)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Prepare the muffin pans by lining 18 holes with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices until well blended.
- Crack the eggs into a medium bowl and whisk in the sugar, pumpkin puree, olive oil, and vanilla extract until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir gently with a large spoon until blended. The batter should be slightly lumpy with no white streaks of unincorporated flour.
Assembling the Muffins (10 minutes + 20 minutes baking time + 5 minutes cooling time)
- Fill each of the prepared liners 1/3 full with batter. Press a blob of cream cheese into each one, then top each one with the remaining batter.
- Sprinkle the streusel topping evenly over each muffin. Save the extra streusel for another recipe.
- Bake at 350 F for about 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few small moist crumbs on it.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove them and place on a wire rack to cool. Serve warm.