All you need to do is mention cheese and potatoes and you’ve got my attention. This ham and potato casserole has been a family favorite for over sixteen years due to its four main ingredients: potatoes, ham, cheese and corn. It has a homemade white cheddar cheese sauce that is poured over the soft potatoes, cubed ham, and yellow corn. The red onions and green peppers are sauteed in butter and a good sprinkling of salt and pepper help to season this dish.
I encourage you to make this for supper tonight for your loved ones. Be prepared to add this recipe to your master list of supper time favorites. It’s a fantastic way to use up leftover ham.
Ham and potato casserole is a long-time family favorite filled with hearty potatoes, ham, and corn.
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups cooked ham, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen kernel corn
- 3 tablespoon butter (reserve 2 tablespoons for the roux)
- 1/2 large green pepper, chopped
- 1/3 red onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 cups white sharp cheddar cheese, grated, reserve one for the end
- salt and pepper to taste
- sprinkle of smoked paprika, optional
For the Garnish (Optional)
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- sprinkle of smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
Making the Potato Mixture
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Peel and cube the potatoes. Cook the potatoes until fork tender. Drain.
- While the potatoes are cooking, cut up the ham, green pepper and red onions.
- Saute the green peppers and onion in butter until soft.
- Put the potatoes, peppers, onion and corn in a large bowl and stir gently.
Making the Cheese Sauce
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in 6 tablespoons of flour, one at a time, and cook for 2-3 minutes while whisking.
- Gradually add the milk, while constantly whisking until the sauce is smooth.
- Add the grated cheese and stir until melted.
- Cook the white sauce until it thickens, whisking occasionally.
- Once it thickens, remove it from heat and pour over potato mixture.
Assembling the Casserole
- Gently stir the cheese sauce and a sprinkle of salt and pepper into the potato mixture. Adjust seasonings according to taste.
- Pour the cheesy potato mixture into a large casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese, and if desired smoked paprika.
- Bake in a 350 F oven for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm, and garnish with fresh parsley.
- Garnish with grated fresh parmesan cheese, fresh parsley, and a few cracks of black pepper.
- Serve warm.
- For people who can’t have corn, substitute it with yellow peppers to provide the same color.
- If you are short on time, you can skip the last step of putting it in the oven, but the flavors intensify if you do take the time to bake it.
- This freezes well. Thaw it out completely, then reheat it in the oven for 30 minutes with a fresh sprinkle of cheese and paprika on top.