Autumn is probably my favorite season! In the hot and humid southeast Georgia, our summer extends a good way into fall, so I am really glad when I can put away summer clothes and start wearing sweaters and boots on a regular basis. Sipping fragrant mulled cider, savoring each bite of buttery-cinnamon baked apples, enjoying God’s creation and the crisp air and cooler temperatures…there’s so many things to love about fall. For me, this apple cranberry crisp is definitely one of the highlights of autumn!
One of my favorite autumn desserts is this apple-cranberry crisp. For years, we’ve made it a priority to make this wonderful crisp each fall. The crunchy topping combined with the sweet apples, tangy cranberries, and lovely spices make this a wonderful dessert for all of your senses. It definitely fills your house with a tantalizing aroma!
This is an easy and fairly quick dessert to make. The longest thing to prepare is peeling, coring, and dicing the 5 apples, but if you have a helper, it should shave off a lot of the time I’ve given below. Even if you don’t have a helper, it’s worth every minute of your effort!
If you decide to make this apple cranberry crisp for your family this autumn, they will thank you many times over. Enjoy!Print
This easy apple cranberry crisp recipe is a delicious medley of autumn flavors. Dig your spoon in and enjoy its sweet, tangy taste!
For the Fruit Mixture
- 1 1/2 pounds Golden Delicious apples (approx. 3 apples) (680g)
- 1 1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples (approx. 2 apples) (680g)
- 1-2 Tbsp lemon juice (to keep apples from turning brown)
- 3 3/4 cups cranberries, fresh or frozen (340g)
- Zest of 1 large orange
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp orange juice
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. mixed spice
For the Topping
- 6 Tbsp. salted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
Preparing the Topping
- In a stand mixer, combine the softened butter, flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, mixed spice, and nutmeg until well mixed. Small clumps should form.
Making the Fruit Mixture
- Peel and core the apples. Cut each apple into eighths and cut into about 1/2-inch pieces. Keep the apples in a bowl of cold water mixed with 1 Tbsp. lemon juice to keep them from turning brown.
- Rinse the cranberries in a colander and discard any bad ones.
- Butter a 9 1/2″ by 14″ glass oval baking dish about 2 1/2 inches deep. Alternatively, you can use a 9×13 casserole dish.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Stir together the fruit, zest, flour, sugar, cinnamon, mixed spice, orange juice, and vanilla until thoroughly combined.
Assembling & Baking the Crisp
- Pour into the prepared pan, making sure to spread the mixture evenly.
- Sprinkle the topping over the fruit.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, depending upon the type of pan you are using. The fruit juices will be thick and bubbly around the edges, and the topping should be lightly browned.
- Allow the crisp to cool for 15-20 minutes, then serve.
This crisp tastes wonderful when served warm with vanilla ice cream.
It also reheats very well and can be served the next day.