Are you looking for an elegant main course to serve your family on Valentine’s Day? Lasagna roll ups are your answer! It’s a very pretty way to serve this hearty meal. Plus, who doesn’t love Italian food? 🍝
This recipe is an excellent choice for a special meal because you can make all of it ahead of time, and just pop it in the oven 1/2 hour before supper. 👍 I’ll be honest with you, the roll ups do take more time to assemble then a traditional lasagna, but your end result is worth the extra effort. If you have never tried making this style of lasagna, I encourage you to give it a try. It’s really fun to roll up the noodles! 😊
Round out your special supper with a classic Caesar salad and toasty garlic bread. 🥗🥖 You’ll love this easy chocolate mousse for dessert and fun Shirley Temple drinks, too! It’s a meal that is guaranteed to bring smiles from your loved ones, and a sense of personal satisfaction for time well spent in the kitchen.Print
Four Cheese Lasagna Roll Ups
Four cheese lasagna roll ups are classic lasagna noodles stuffed with creamy cottage cheese, ground beef, and tomatoes. It’s the perfect romantic Italian dinner for Valentine’s Day!
- Prep Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 12 roll ups
For the Meat Sauce
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 28-ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 8-ounce cans plain tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Noodles
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the Cheese Mixture
- 1 egg
- 24 ounces small curd cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Romano cheese, grated
- 1 1/4 cups chopped fresh spinach, stems removed
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
For the Topping
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 ounces mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 1/2 cups meat sauce
For the Garnish
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- sprinkle freshly ground black pepper
Making the Meat Sauce
- In a large pot, cook the ground beef over medium high heat until browned, then drain off the excess fat.
- Put the meat back into the same pot and add the canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, and spices. Stir and taste, adjusting the seasonings as desired. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil, then simmer with the lid askew for 30 minutes.
Preparing the Noodles
- In a large pot, add water, salt and oil. Put the lid on and bring to a boil. Place 12 lasagna noodles in the boiling water. Make sure there is enough water to cover the noodles. Cook according to the directions on the box – roughly 10 to 12 minutes. Drain and rinse with hot water, then lay them out on two large cookie sheets brushed with oil. Lay the cooked noodles side by side, 6 on each tray.
Making the Mushroom Topping
- Rinse the sliced mushrooms. Saute them in butter over medium high heat until cooked, roughly 8 minutes. Let cool, then chop finely.
Mixing up the Cheese Mixture
- While the meat sauce, noodles, and mushrooms are cooking, grate 1 cup each of mozzarella and Romano. Grate 2 cups of Parmesan, reserving 1 cup for the topping.
- Crack 1 egg into a large bowl and stir. Add the cottage cheese, 1/2 cup of each of the mozzarella and Romano, and 1 cup Parmesan, 1 1/2 cup of fresh chopped spinach, and the black pepper. Mix until well combined.
Assembling & Baking the Roll Ups
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- In a 9×13-inch pan, spread 1/2 cup of meat sauce evenly over the bottom. On each lasagna noodle, evenly spread 1/4 cup meat sauce. Add 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture on top of the meat mixture and smooth with a knife. Roll up each noodle jelly roll style.
- Evenly place the noodles seam-side down in the pan, arranging them in four rows of three. Cover each roll with more meat sauce and a generous sprinkle of the three kinds of cheese. Reserve some of the Parmesan for a garnish. Tent the baking pan with foil.
- Cook for 35 minutes at 375 F. Serve warm with a garnish of chopped basil, a sprinkle of grated Parmesan, and black pepper.
- Make the lasagna roll ups ahead, cover with foil, and place in the fridge. Bake 1/2 hour before supper.
- There will be extra meat sauce, which you can reserve for another use.
- Make a big batch, and freeze what you don’t need.